Thursday, October 7, 2010

Growing up?

In college, I took a Psychology 101 class. A lot of those lessons stuck with me and I think of them fairly often. One of the classes was about cultural milestones. As in, doing this means you have passed into a new phase of your life. Many Native American tribes celebrate their milestones by receiving a new name. Well, if I were Cherokee, I would have a new name now. I imagine it would be something like "Running Crazy" or "She-who-has-no-life-outside-work".

But that is not the point of this blog. I wanted to share a few thoughts about growing up and what that means. Growing up. Means. Absolutely nothing.

Because we never stop growing up. For my entire life I think I have thought I was grown up. Started going to school, OK now I'm grown up. Started wearing pants and a backpack to school, OK now I'm grown up. Had my first boyfriend, yep this is it. Started driving, officially grown up now. Went to college, I am so grown up I can't stand it. Graduated college, can I stop now? Got my first real job, OK, I'm grown up enough. Got my first promotion at my first job, really... uh... can I stop growing up now?

worker cat is  brings home teh bacon

My point is, when is grown up really grown up? Even while I am struggling with the concept of never reaching the mighty "grown up" status, I am thinking about more of life's milestones.



Marriage, ya that's pretty grown up.

OMG Shirley, dat diamund iz hyuuge!!

Children, wow for sure that means you are fully-grown.

U gots a problem  wif ma kid?

A career, retirement, old-age, those concepts are just too far to fathom for me, but really? When I'm old, will I have finally grown up?

Right...

I sure hope not :)

2 comments:

  1. I'll be the first one to say that even if you are 'old' you can still NOT be grown up!! You'll always be my little baby. ha ha ha.. not really you are WAY past THAT phase!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you crack me up with your photos... haha

    yeah, growing up never ends... but there are some fun things that come along with it too. Babies are awesome! :) And getting married is fun.

    ReplyDelete