Thursday, April 15, 2010

All those things

Remember all those things your mom told you about what it's like to be an adult? Ya. You know. I would like to take the time to discuss some of those things with you. In fact, I made a list that you can hopefully add to, all about those things you heard about being an adult that you really didn't understand until they happened.

8) You actually don't know everything.
Teenage response: Duh! I know that! (But really I don't)
Sensible Adult: I make it a point to learn something new every day.

7) Odds are you wont end up your first boyfriend.
Teenage response: Whatever! Johnny and I are simply MADE for each other and we will be together FOREVER! We already picked names for our children and I know EXACTLY what dress I am wearing to our wedding!
Sensible Adult: While I do know a few people (my sister included) who stay with their high-school boyfriend, the odds are against them.

6) You will not see 90% of your high school friends two years after high school.
Teenage response: That would never happen to MY friends, we are way too close to let that happen. Ever! Even though we are going to all different schools, we are going to keep in touch. We made a pact that we will be friends no matter what!
Sensible Adult: That one is spot on. It's a little easier to keep in touch now with facebook, but people change. And have new lives. And when you don't see them at school every day, you actually have to make an EFFORT to keep being friends.

5) Real friends are hard to find.
Teenage response: I have, like, 12 real friends! And even if I only stay in touch with 11 of them two years out of HS (which would NEVER happen because, you know, our pact) I make friends SO easily! I will be so popular when I am an adult that I will have to schedule lunches every day of the week!
Sensible Adult: The friends you do keep from HS are real friends, especially if you still talk six years after. But new, good friends are Hard to find.

4) You will probably end up doing something other than what you went to school for.
Teenage response: That's ok because I don't even need to GO to college to be famous! College will be my back-up plan because I am going to become a famous Actress/Singer/Writer/Whatever...
Sensible Adult: If you are fortunate, you will make it through college. If you are extremely lucky (or you know someone) you will end up with the job you always wanted. And it will still not be as great as you thought it was going to be.

3) Everyone hates their job.
Teenage response: I am going to love my job, because I will be a famous Playwright/Doctor/Lawyer/Whatever and I will love what I do! No job you hate is worth having!
Sensible Adult: If you want to pay the bills, that job is worth having. If work wasn't hard, it wouldn't be called Work!

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

2) Paying the bills is hard, and some months, you just don't make it.
Teenage response: Life as an adult will be great because I will be able to do WHATEVER I WANT! No matter that whatever I want usually costs money. I have plenty of money now and when I become a famous Model/Comedian/Under-Water-Basket-Weaver... I will have even more money!
Sensible Adult: Paying the bills is hard. And some months, you don't make it. And then you call your parents :P

1) You will miss me someday.
Teenager response: Didn't you hear me? When I am an adult I will get to do WHATEVER I WANT! I will have no time to be missing you because I will have so much fun! And I already know EVERYTHING so don't THINK I am going to call you from my first apartment asking if you will tell me how took cook a potato/cake/that-thing-you-always-used-to-make-because-I-miss-home-so-much-I-want-to-cry...
Sensible Adult: I will call you ALL THE TIME. For EVERYTHING. Sometimes I call you just because. And I miss you. All the time.


Well I hope you enjoyed my post and I am now going to challenge Lauren to write an equivalent about things you heard about being a mother that you didn't understand until you were a mother. I'm sure it will be FULL of oversharing :)

I love you and I miss you both.

4 comments:

  1. funny, spot on and what a great writer you are!!! now that you are a sensible adult. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You won the Jane Austen books on my giveaway! Now all I need it your mailing address so I can send them to you. Jut go to my profile on my blog and my email address is there.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had to add that I enjoyed your post. I always like the ones that manage to share some wisdom and still use enough humor to make me chuckle here and there.

    Good job.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should I send your books to your mom's address, or is there somewhere else you need them sent?

    =)

    ReplyDelete