Saturday, April 24, 2010

Here’s to Letting Go

I wrote this last year and I think I shared it with you, but I never put it up and claimed it as mine. I really like it, and I think I'm ready to be out with it. So here goes.



I cried for an entire day yesterday. A morning of sobs, an afternoon of deep breathing. It was my aunt’s birthday. She died of cancer 11 years ago.

I was twelve, I think. We were at my aunt’s house; we had been coming over increasingly this summer. My mother knew we didn’t have much time. I was playing Lincoln logs with my sister and three cousins. My mother came in. We knew before she said it. Her face told us without a word, “She’s gone”. My cousins ran and clung to her, their mother’s sister. My sister got up in slow motion. The five of them left the room, crying together. And I smiled. I laughed. I couldn’t stifle my giggling. I was horrified.

I ran to the bathroom, making sure no one saw me. I should be in there, crying with my family. Not watching this caricature smile in the mirror. I felt awful. I repeated to myself, “You are sad. This is a sad situation. This is not a proper reaction. She is gone.” Gradually, I was able to wipe the smile from my face. I checked the mirror, just to make sure the frown was real. It wasn’t a frown, it was blank. Close enough. I crept down the hall into her room.

She was very pale. She looked soft. Everyone was crying and holding each other. My uncle was making phone calls, informing the relatives. And I was blank faced, looking at the scene unfold. I played sad pictures in my head, anything sad I could think of, just to get myself to cry, to appear normal. And I did cry. And I kept on crying today.

This was one of my most secret of secrets. If I told anyone, it would be in a reverent whisper. And that person would shrug and say, weird or huh. I’ve lived for years thinking I am a terrible person who enjoys death. I’ve felt so guilty about it. It is one of the worst things I have ever done. Until yesterday.

I cried and cried when I read my mother’s blog about her sister. I thought of my sister, and I can’t imagine losing her. My cousins, without their mother. And I cried some more. I couldn’t stop, I felt so guilty for laughing when I should have been crying. So I spilled my guts to my mom.

She did not respond as I expected. She didn’t cry, she didn’t yell, she just said in her soothing, mom-voice, “It’s ok. It is normal. It’s a normal reaction. Lots of kids who can’t cope with realities of death have strange, out of place emotions.”

I don’t know if I am relieved. I still have a lingering sense of guilt. Why didn’t I find this out sooner? It has been years of guilt-build-up and now it’s just ok? So what? You laughed at your aunt’s death, big deal? I don’t believe it. But I do feel better. My aunt wouldn’t have wanted me to brood about the past.

So here is to the future. To loved ones who never truly leave us. To letting go. And to spilling our guts.

4 comments:

  1. thank you for telling everyone. Makes me cry too for several reasons, and frankly everyone needs a good cry and release of emotion (laughing is a good release of emotions!)
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i felt guilty about our shared initial giggle until we discussed grief in a psych class and the professor talked about how common it is for people to do something other than cry, for example to laugh, when someone is gone... that it doesn't mean you think it's funny, it's just the brain's way of coping with something it doesn't want to.
    i didn;t think it was funny, it was awful and i knew it and felt it, but giggled anyway? and it was weird.
    :( can't imagine losing my sister. it always makes me feel sad for mom when I think about that.
    sad sad sad, i don't like thinking of that day... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my sons has often responded with laughter first in situations where it wasn't "appropriate." I agree with your mom that this is a typical response that happens, especially to children, when they are uncomfortable with strong feelings. It's sad to think that you've felt ashamed about that experience all these years, and I'm glad you can begin to move past it now.

    When President Kennedy died, a couple of kids in my classroom giggled when they heard. Confused, I told my dad that night, and he told me that sometimes kids just didn't know what to do. It was too shocking for them.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom forwarded this post to me after learning that two weeks ago, I lost my brother suddenly and tragically. Everyone grieves in their own way and no one can tell you how to do it as some people have told me how to. Blessings and sunshine to you!

    ReplyDelete